Tuesday, February 26, 2013

You, Sir, Are Wrong


"No right in this country is absolute," Himes said. "You do not have absolute rights anywhere, in particular when it concerns things that are very dangerous. A classic example is freedom of expression, but you do not have a right to shout fire in a crowded theater. In the same regard, efforts to regulate a very dangerous technology are not efforts to obliterate a constitutional right."

Go read it.
I am so tired of reading and hearing this. I do have the right to yell whatever I want in two circumstances. First, there's really a fire. Second, I'm willing to accept responsibility for whatever happens as a result of my actions. Understanding the nature of people and the tendency to panic, scream and shout, wave their arms and run about, I would never yell fire in a crowded theater. Someone would get hurt. I, and other law-abiding citizens, know this and act accordingly. Same for law-abiding gun owners. We know, too, what damage the improper use of a firearm can do. We follow the rules. Evil people don't.
Don't think you can take away my "dangerous technology" because someone else isn't responsible in their actions. It has already been said shouting fire in a theater is against the law because someone might get hurt or even killed. There are laws against using a firearm to injure or kill someone unless it is in self defense, too. Think, please.
And, "get a dog"? Really? 

No comments:

Post a Comment