Saturday, March 23, 2013

Don't Let It Play You

Just went back and dug this one up. I was reading the podcast notes for Episode 27 over at Modernselfprotection.com and it dredged up the emotion/reaction thing. Sorry Ben, I'm behind on podcasts so I haven't listened, yet.
The idea of the "Monkey Dance" is one that is hard to forget once it has been introduced. Preclusion/deescalation has worked for me a number of times throughout my life--more than I can count--even before I was smart enough to know what I was doing. In my youth, there was a whole lot of the three S's involved, too, to be totally honest. Still, I talked a lot more guys down than not, thankfully.
Now, being a "heads up" kind of guy has created a lot of step 1 moments. Moving away from the challenge without causing the other guy to feel slighted can be easy or difficult depending on the situation, but now that I have a CHL it seems to be easier to deescalate or redirect. Maybe that's attributable to a difference in mindset. My understanding is that it is my responsibility not to let some idiot force things to get out of control. That's a much better base from which to work than letting the game play you.

No comments:

Post a Comment